Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Damnit MaMa Was Right All Along

If These Heels Could Talk they would say, "damnit my mama was right all along."

Those that are close to me have heard a story or two of mine. They have heard of how I grew up in the country.  They have heard of how I didn't have even a phone until I was 14.  They have heard of how during hunting season (which was year round for my dad) we never bought meat at the grocery store.  The list of stories are endless. 

I always joke with my mom when we talk about the "good ole days" and I say that I am going to bill she and my dad for the therapy sessions. She will say, "ahhhh Angie it wasn't that bad, look at the person you have become, it made you work that much harder."    She is right about that. I do value everything that I have been blessed with.  Nothing I have was given to me and I have worked hard so that my children never want for anything. 

Every now and then my mom will say, "Angie your kids don't know what it is like to rough it." And I always reply, "and I don't want them to know what it is like."  "I want them to have more than I had and do better." 

Here is the deal.... my mom is freaking right....... My kids don't know what it is like to rough it.  My oldest son's idea of "roughing" it is the time when a tornado (yes a tornado) had come through and the power was out and his IPhone 5 was down to 2% battery life.  You would have thought he was a crack head and someone just stole his rock.  He was freaking out... "Mom my phone is down to 2% and I don't have a car charger." "Mom your charger won't fit mine because yours is an IPhone 4." 

My daughter's idea of roughing it is there is no Dance Moms on to watch or her little brother recorded WWE over Pretty Little Liars.

My youngest sons idea of roughing it is that there are no more eggs and all he wants is an egg sandwich.  Or "who took the last of the freaking milk." " Or why isn't Netflix working?" 

Don't get me wrong, my kids are not the spoiled, let me pitch a fit kind of kid if they don't get their way.  Because they know I won't put up with that.  However they know that when they do come to me, whatever it may be, I will do everything in my power to make it happen. 

I was 14 years old when I started working.  First babysitting jobs then of course real paying, tax deducting jobs.  I bought ALL of my clothes that I wore in high school. I bought my class ring, my prom dresses, my Senior pictures, all my shoes, I put gas in my car that I paid $500.00 for  and I paid my own insurance.  Never was I upset that I had to do this.  I did it because I knew it was a burden taken off of my mom.  And quite frankly there is nothing more satisfying then paying your own way.

I know what it is like to have no running water for over a year because the well went dry and there was no money in the budget to dig another one.  But I also know that in that year's time, our house was ALWAYS clean, our clothes were ALWAYS washed, and we were ALWAYS bathed.  My mom made it work.  And yes it was rough. And I really don't need therapy for my years of roughing it.  Looking back it was a true blessing. 

I guess now I am trying to figure out how I can mix up a little bit of what my mom did with a little bit of what I do.  No I don't have it all figured out and I still have my moments.  But at the end of the day, every day, I know that I have given it my all and I can still hear my MaMa telling me that, "one day I will appreciate all that I am going and have gone through."

Damnit MaMa was right!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment