Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Beer or Food - It Really is About the Heart

If These Heels Could Talk on this day they would say, "who am I to say the one with their hand out in need is really not in need."

Most of my days are exceptionally busy and it is a given that at some point there will be some level of stress that I encounter.  Of course it is all up to me whether I handle that stress like a champ or a chump. I will not say that the time of the month may or may not play a factor in the champ or chump part.  Yes I admit, we get moody. Just no need for anyone to point out the obvious.

I have three children in which I have equipped with cellular devices   Yes I am aware that 10 years ago this was not necessary and we all lived perfectly fine during this age.  I will admit I do like being able to text or call one of my kids when they are out and about.  One of my pet peeves is for them not to answer the phone if I call, especially when I pay and provide them with this privilege. I own it and I am just letting them borrow it, I just request that they use it responsibly.

As with most days, my youngest did not have his phone with him. And just like true Angie fashion I was running a little behind to pick him up from practice. Of course I have no way of contacting him to let him know this very important detail. 

Suddenly I received a text from a random number and it read: "this is Jacob where r u."  In which I reply, "on the way who is there."  He responds, "McNutt".

I know Coach and I trust Coach so I think I will see if he will just drop Jacob off at the track or field house since I have to go there anyway to pick up Victor and I really don't want to hold the Coach up any longer.   So I text back, "Can you give Jacob a ride to the track and I will be there to pick him up."  

And I get........ nothing.....

So I call Kayla and check to see if Jacob came home since sometimes he will catch a ride, nope not there.  So I call Coach and get no answer.  By now I am a little on the irritated side that my little lad does not have his cellular device. Oh my bad, that is for Candy Crush anyway.......

I get to the school and they are there and Coach checks his phone and says, "oh yea I see where you call and text, I never check this thing." Well I can't be mad at him, after all he was watching over my little lad and I don't pay for his phone. 

I then venture to the pharmacy to pick up my much needed meds, only to encounter a middle aged lady in what appears to be a needful situation. As I am pulling in she and a man are walking in the middle of the driveway, I refrained from yelling out the window or honking the horn and politely smiled.  MISTAKE...... That was her GO BUTTON.

I pull into the drive through and since my little lad and I had the windows down letting our hair blow in the wind she walked right up to the passenger window and asked for seventy five cents to get a drink.
  It was a little hot outside and her eyes were a little blood shot, she might have had the cotton mouth.  Lord knows some know that feeling.  I felt compelled to give her some cash and handed her a dollar bill.

Mind you I still have not received in hand what I was really there for, my needed meds.  I handed my little lad a twenty dollar bill and said, "run into the store and get you a snack and I will be right around."  Meanwhile our new found friend pounced on that and said, "do you have a little more cash, I am hungry too."  Well, she did look a little frail and her hair was disheveled.  I know when I get hungry I too can  look a hot mess.  So I proceed to hand her two more dollars, she replies, "thank you Jesus", and begins to walk.

"Well okay ma'am but I am not Jesus is what I was thinking."

As she is walking off my sweet little lad sprints out of the car and says as energetic as he could, "I have twenty dollars I can buy you something to eat."  She seems very excited about this.  He turns to me and I started shaking my head and mouthing  "no".  But by then the damage was done. He was on a mission and so was she.

By now the lady at the window has witnessed what just went down and has decided to kick her ass in high gear.  I thanked her for being expeditious in her process and pressed the gas.  My little lad had already rounded the corner and was in the store. 

I arrive at the counter to find them both alive and him standing there preparing to pay for the chicken that she had got from the deli.  My heart was relieved and my heart was full.  Neither was harmed and he was being a little man.

Most adults know just as well as I know what she probably really wanted.  But my little lad wasn't thinking anything like that, he heard her say, "I am hungry" and felt a desire to fulfill that need, of course at the expense of me, but nonetheless his heart was right. 

Once we got into the car I turned to him and said, "she probably really wanted beer." And I immediately felt like the cigarette butt stuck to the gum on the bottom of a shoe.

I was taking away from his blessing and her blessing by the words that I had just let roll off my tongue. 

I then said, "you know what son, you did the right thing." "You listened to her and you fulfilled a need and if she was lying about her need then that is on her and not you." 

I could see how happy that little deed for the day made him. Maybe, just maybe in my daily routines of rushing here and there and trying to be everything to everyone that I have taught my children something. 

We can't let other's deception and cruel intentions sway our decisions to do the right thing.  Not everyone is lying and not everyone is out to get you.  Yes I teach them to be smart, make the right decisions and know the difference between trusting and being trustworthy.  My little lad made me proud.

All three of us received a blessing today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment