Friday, June 28, 2013

Crazy Joe Expeditiously

If These Heels Could Talk they would say, "one of my all time favorite movies is Lean On Me starring Morgan Freeman." 

I have seen this movie quiet a few times and for whatever reason today I just started thinking about the one scene where Morgan Freeman (a.k.a. Crazy Joe) and the young boy are on the roof top. 

In a nut shell he tells the young man that since he likes to smoke crack that he might as well just jump off the roof.  He tells him basically crack is a slow suicide and he shouldn't mess around with killing himself slowly he should just do it.

That is by far one of my favorite scenes from the movie.  A lot of people probably would look at this and think that he is being really cruel to the young man.  I don't think he was being cruel at all. He was being very firm and trying to get a point across to this young man. And if any of you have seen the movie, you know that it worked very well. This young man turned his life around.

Our country has become nothing but a bunch of soft, wearing my feelings on my sleeves, why didn't I get first place, you owe me everything when I don't deserve anything, don't want to work, slackers.

If an authoritative figure took this approach now, the parents that aren't even present in the kids life which probably caused him to turn to this lifestyle in the first place would want to be crying lawsuit.  Meanwhile our children are not structured, disciplined or God Fearing. 

A lot of the children now a days have absolutely no respect for any authoritative figure.  I was always taught to say yes ma'am and no ma'am.  And I don't care how bad I wanted to say something back, I best  keep my damn  mouth shut. 

We need a Crazy Joe sometimes.  Sometimes a Crazy Joe is just want the doctor ordered. 

I have said it before and I will say it again,  it truly takes a village to raise a child.  Unfortunately we live in a society where parents will cover for their children's behavior in fear of "looking bad."  They will blame everyone else except the person that is actually to blame. 

I am no where close to being perfect in the parenting department, however I have never cared what another individual thought when it came to me correcting my children's behavior. I know what lies ahead for them.  And if I can correct it now, then hopefully it will make things a little easier. 

And believe it or not, I think I would have taken this approach too.  People can call me mean, or hard or rough.  When it comes to the well-being of my children I will take any means necessary. 

I am not their best friend first, I am their mother first.  And I would do anything in the world for them, even tell them to Jump.



No comments:

Post a Comment