Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sometimes The Other Guy is An Alright Guy

If These Heels Could Talk on this day they would say, "sometimes the other guy is an alright guy."        

For the last two weekends I have had the awesome pleasure of sitting in the hot Georgia heat to watch my youngest son Jacob and his team mates play in the All-Star tournaments. Last weekend was the tournament that would qualify us for the state tournament. The first and second place teams received a trip to the state tournament. We came in second last weekend and therefore won our trip.
 
I love old people and kids, it's the ones in  the middle that tend to rattle me. Last weekend I began a love hate relationship with the other team's third baseman.  Yes, I know he was only eleven years old, but let me say this, he already knew how to use his charm.

The relationship began when one of our players popped up and I yelled, "miss it!" as loud as I possibly could to the opposing team.  Of course I wished no ill will on this other team, but let's face it, all is fair in love and war.  And quite frankly, I wanted our team to win.   As I yelled "miss it", the eleven year old third baseman from the other team immediately looked at me, and if looks could or should kill, then I shouldn't be writing this story right now, ya'll should be throwing a party that I am no longer here to "tell it like it is."

Needless to say our relationship evolved even more when I was consistent with my encouragement for one of their players to "miss it" or "drop it" every time one of our players hit the ball.  And when I would dish it out he would give it right back to me. I got the evil eye every single time.

Now some may think that I was being mean and I assure you that this is not at all the case.  As I stated before, I love kids and old people and NEVER in a million years would I do anything to harm a child, I will however use whatever means necessary to encourage and motivate them.  Without even knowing the young man I could tell that he was very competitive and was even more determined to make sure that we had no runner on base.  I was merely encouraging him to work harder, and let me say, HE WORKED HARDER.

At one point he sneezed and I said, "God bless you." He looked over his right shoulder and said, "thank you." But I could tell it was like vinegar on the tongue and he really didn't want to say it, but apparently  his parents had raised him right and he knew a thank you was warranted. 

After all was said and done, his team won and he and his team mates shut me up. They were in first place and we were in second place.  I walked away with head hung low vowing to never see him again not realizing that we were destined to meet again. (I had already forgotten about the fact that the top two teams were going to State) 

This weekend began the State tournament and  as our boys were playing their second game of the day on Saturday another young group of boys who happened to be in between games came and sat in front of me and the rest of the parents.

I began to ask them how their day was going and could see that they were enjoying their weekend. I asked them who had they played last at which point one of the answered, "the white team." Not missing a beat I said, "hey hey now that's a little racist now don't cha think." A couple of them got the lame joke and a couple of others it took a second and then they all giggled. 

We all carried on for a few more minutes, me poking fun with them and enjoying their childish laughter. One of the young boys said, "hey we are rooting for y'all's team to win." And I replied, "well yea if you know what's good for you." And then we locked eyes and I realized it was him!!!! 

I was ecstatic!!! I said hey, "you're the team from last weekend and you are my third base friend." He smiled and nodded his head. But then I was confused because there were two of them. I felt like I was watching the movie Double Trouble all over again.  Identical twins played on the same team, one being a third baseman and one being a pitcher. 

I asked him why when he heard me yell, "miss it", did he give me such a mean look.  He told me, "because I am a very competitive person and I wanted my team to win.  And I of course said, "I knew that already, I could see it in how you played the game and that is an awesome trait to have." 

I still don't know my young friends name, nor does it matter what his name is.  I just know that even though he was the other guy he was an alright guy.  

When it was all said and done, their team beat us again in our third game on Saturday, eliminating our team from going farther.  I can honestly say that both teams gave it their all, his team just gave a little bit more to capture that win.  They didn't let anything hinder them from the prize at hand.

I congratulated my young friend after the game and told him to keep up the hard work. He just smiled, said "thank you", and walked away. 

In this life we will have curve balls and pop flys coming at us from all different  directions and if we aren't careful we will lose focus of the task at hand, which is ultimately to finish the game and score the most runs. The key is to keep our eye on the ball, swing level, run fast, slide head first when needed, and then knock it slam out of the park when we get that perfect pitch.  Of course every now and then it's best to  don your best pair of heels and yell from the sidelines offering up encouragement to all of those in your presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment