Friday, June 21, 2013

Just Another Night At The Ballfield

If These Heels Could Talk.....they would say, "What a night!!!!" 
 
One of my favorite things is watching my youngest son play his sports.  Right now it is baseball and the fall it will be football.  Tonight his team won 17 to 5 and he made an awesome play in right field.  Of course I yelled, "that is my boy", as if the people around me didn't already know that.  I just wanted to remind them in case it might have slipped their mind.
 
Over the years I would have to almost always leave work and head straight to the fields, whether it was a softball field, when I coached Kayla, or a baseball field or football field for the boys. I would of course be in my business attire upon arrival.  No, it wasn't planned to show up in a skirt, blouse and heels, it just worked out that way. I personally never thought much of it, until recently.
 
I do not find it insulting at all when someone is trying to describe me to another person and they say, "you will know her when you see her."  And then when they see me they know me because of what shoes I am wearing. Now there has been a time or two that someone has said that they thought I was the female version of a dog due to the "shoes" I was wearing. Now I have heard of profiling but profiling  because of a pair of stilettos is taking it a bit far. I wasn't offended though.
 
It is no secret that I love my shoes just about as much as I love watching my kids play their sports.  It is a real tight race if I am being honest.  And now it has become topic of conversation. Even today I was asked, "so what shoes are you wearing tomorrow?"
 
Now I realize some will think that this is quite ridiculous and who really cares about what shoes I am wearing. I can't say I wouldn't disagree if I weren't a part of the situation.  I honestly don't think that it is about the shoes I am wearing at all.  It is about the awesome conversations we have and the laughter, joking and smiling when talking about them and  my ability to not roll and ankle in them. 
 
So I am embracing this part of my love of shoes and instead of trying to "fit" in with the rest of the crowd, I will  just continue to do what I do best.  I show up, I prop up, I make an inappropriate comment, yell at the umpire  and I cheer for home team. I just might be 4 inches taller than normal when I do it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment