Sunday, December 22, 2013

Memories Can Be A Blessing or a Curse

If These Heels Could Talk they would say, "Memories can be a blessing or a curse."
 
I had a wonderful friend that was taken from this Earth way to soon.   I remember the first time I ever saw Jennifer. It was 6th grade. She was beautiful. She had long strawberry blond hair, it was pulled up with a clip and was covered in long curls.  She had the bluest eyes you have ever seen on a person. Perfect can't even begin to describe her beauty. 
 
 I ...on the other hand was freckled face with a haircut that even a boy would cringe at having. (I may post pictures to prove). I was in awe of her. We immediately became friends. Over the course of our school years we became closer and closer. I don't ever remember her and me ever having the typical girl fallout. We just did what friends do.
 
Thanks to Jennifer I got my first heart break. Well not really her fault the boy was an A double S hole, but she did date is brother and encouraged me very persuasively to date the guy. Anyway, I wasn’t mad at all at her, he was the jerk. 
 
One memory that sticks out for me is from the 8th grade. My family and I were going to West Point Lake camping for a week. Jennifer wanted to go, I believe not so much for the camping experience but because she had an eye on my cousin. I tried to prepare her up front to the ways of how the Garner's camp. When we went camping we went camping; tents, no running water, week at a time, bathe in the lake kind of stuff. 
 
 As we were driving to the lake, Jennifer is rummaging through her bag and I notice that she has a curling iron and a hair dryer. “Hmmmm, Jennifer we ain’t staying at the Holiday Inn darling, there is no electricity.” She was mortified. But we had the time of our life. I chipped my tooth on a beer bottle, thanks to my cousin Jamie a.k.a mudcat. And I still haven’t got it fixed. Maybe when I do I will send him the bill. We got in trouble by the park ranger for being rowdy teenagers (there was only about 15 of us running ramped through the park). 
 
 I had to go to the well nearly every day and pump the water so she could wash her locks. Jennifer was 14 and looked to be 21, here I was flat chested and she is looking like a Victoria’s Secret model. But she never made me feel less than what I was. She embraced our family and our craziness and rolled right along with us. We swam, we ate watermelon, we stole our parents beer, (we didn’t smoke so be proud of that), we fished; we did what teenagers are supposed to do. These memories are definitely a blessing. I would share more, but some things I must keep to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment